IEEE Southern Alberta Section Scholarship Awards
IEEE Southern Alberta Section awards are presented to recognize excellence in the academics, research and leadership for IEEE SAS. The awards are designed to increase the academic drive, to acknowledge excellence in research, and promote leadership in the section.
- IEEE SAS – Academics UG – 1 Award $1500
- IEEE SAS – Research G – 1 Award $1500
- IEEE SAS – Leadership – 2 Awards $1500
- A candidate can be eligible for these awards as long as they are an IEEE member or an IEEE student member who is attending a recognized post-secondary institution within the geographic boundaries of the IEEE Southern Alberta Section
- The nominee should be either an IEEE student or has graduated within the last 6 months
- An applicant can only apply for one award per year
- Nominees for IEEE-SAS –Academics UG have to be enrolled in an undergraduate degree or graduated from an undergraduate degree within the last 6 months
- Nominees for IEEE-SAS –Research G have to be enrolled in a graduate degree
- Nominees for IEEE SAS – Leadership can be either a graduate or an undergraduate students or graduated from an undergraduate degree within the last 6 months
The initial call for nominations for the awards will be made by 1 April of the year. The applicant will fill in the application form sections 1 – 3. Then, the nominator can complete section 4 – 5. The application must be submitted before the due date of midnight 30 September. The due date is firm, and the committee cannot consider any applications received after the due date. The application can be submitted either by the student or by the nominator. The awards committee members evaluate the nominations and choose a winner by November 1. Note that a minimum of 1 reference letter is required for each of the awards; however, additional letters will strengthen the nominee’s application. The reference letters must be submitted with the application. The nominator can complete a reference letter in section 5, or provide a separate letter, whichever is convenient.
Award #1: IEEE SAS – Academics UG
The IEEE SAS will advertise a call for nominations for the awards. The nominator will fill in the nomination form and submit it before the due date. The awards committee members evaluate the nominations and choose a winner. The scoring criteria will be 50% on the grades, 30% on reference letters and 20% on the extra-curricular activities.
Award #2: IEEE SAS – Research
The awards committee will evaluate all the nominations and chooses one as the winner. The scoring criteria for this award will be: 50% on the originality and the impact of the research, 30% on reference letters and 20% on the extra-curricular activities.
Award #3: Leadership
The awards committee will evaluate all the nominations and chooses one as the winner. The scoring criteria for this award will be: 50% on the breadth and impact of the leadership activities and, 30% on reference letters and 20% on academics.
The awards will be administered jointly by the IEEE Southern Alberta Section and the IEEE Canadian Foundation.
Nature of the award
The Awardees will receive $1500. In addition, the awardees are recognized by the IEEE SAS through a certificate to be signed by IEEE SAS president and the chair of the awards committee. The awards will be given to the recipients at the IEEE SAS annual general meeting which is normally held in November of each year.
Download the application form